The start of a new year always represents an exciting time. For many people, it feels like a fresh start – a brand new year full of brand new possibilities.
If you are in need of a fresh start this new year, I invite you to make the most of 2018 by following these seven tips to be more effective in the new year.
1. Set Your Goals for 2018 Before you can achieve your goals, you first have to set them. These goals should be more than the typical New Year’s resolutions that are all but forgotten by the time February rolls around; they should be serious commitments that you follow through on for the duration of 2018. The specific goals you set is entirely up to you.
They could be related to your health, your relationships, your career, or anything between. The important part is that you choose goals that mean something to you and follow through to make those goals a reality.
2. Remember That You Are Never “Stuck” Far too many people remain in negative situations because they feel as if they are stuck there with no opportunity for escape. The reality is, though, that you are the captain of your life. Where you are and who you have there with you is entirely up to you.
Rather than remaining in negative situations because you feel stuck, take control of your life in 2018 and start moving towards whatever it is that brings you happiness and fulfillment.
3. Discipline Yourself You can never underestimate the potential of an individual who is self-disciplined. Your goals, the challenges you face, and the tasks that you need to do can all be overcome so long as you have enough discipline.
In 2018, try adopting an attitude of determination and discipline. Remember, the only thing standing between you and your goals is you. If you can get past that one obstacle, you’ll undoubtedly be much more effective in 2018.
4. Practice Self Evaluation Honest introspection is a quality that few people truly have. However, for those who are able to shine the light inward and honestly evaluate all of their strengths and shortcomings, introspection and self-evaluation can prove incredibly valuable.
It’s difficult to maximize your strengths and overcome your weaknesses if you aren’t sure what those strengths and weaknesses are.
In 2018, take the time every now and then to take a step back and reflect. Evaluate yourself, your actions, and your performance, then use the information you glean to start bettering yourself in every way you can.
5. Learn How to Say “No” “Yes” is not always the right answer. There is such a thing as stretching ourselves too thin, and people are far too often guilty of agreeing to more than they can actually handle. You’ll only be effective if you learn how to dedicate your focus to your most important goals and tasks.
Not everything is going to be a valuable or even enjoyable use of your time, and it’s often necessary to turn down less important opportunities in order to make room for the opportunities that mean the most.
6. Delegate Just like not every task requires a yes, not every task requires your personal attention.
In fact, it’s quite possible that the people around you will have strengths and skills that make them more capable of tackling a specific task. The best leaders know how to spot these strengths in other people and delegate tasks in the most effective way possible.
Of course, not everyone is in a position where they are able to delegate tasks. If you are, though, take advantage of the strengths of the people around you and learn how to delegate in 2018.
7. Declutter Your Life
Clutter can come in multiple forms, and none of them are helpful. You may have physical clutter in your workspace that makes it more difficult for you to efficiently get a job done, or you may have emotional clutter that holds you back from enjoying your life and achieving your goals.
Whatever clutter is in your life, make 2018 the year that you clean house and start with clean, clutter-free slate.